My wife is getting a degree in english literature and the other day she asked me how to write phonetic characters on OS X. I honestly had no idea of how to do it, so after searching the Apple support documents and finding nothing I did a bit of investigation on my Mavericks and found out.
Then later on I tried to explain her how to type them it over the phone but was quite difficult to explain so I decided to write it down for future references.
The process explained is:
- Open any application that accepts text and situate the cursor in the text field. In the example I use TextEdit
- Go to the Edit menu and select Special Characters… or do ^⌘Space
- Drag the floating window that appears
- Once the window is detached click the characters icon on the top right
- Click the gear icon on the top left and choose Customize List&…
- Choose the Phonetic Alphabet or else as needed
- Select the new category on the left and double-click the desired symbol to type it
And visually it would look like:
PS: in the end I found this help article that kinda explains the same thing.